Saturday, January 03, 2015

Day2: Feed My Starving Children - Volunteer Work

So the community I stay in i.e Broadmoor Apts all ladies were interested in volunteer work and someone came up with the idea of FMSC i.e Feed My Starving Children where we could go and pack food that would be send out to various parts of the world. It just involved 2 hrs of our time.
For more details you can go to http://www.fmsc.org/
So  Sneha took the initiative of booking the slots and letting all of us know about it. We could take kids above 5 years and so I decided to take Bumble along. I told 2 from my side not sure whoch two of us would go with the kid. As Mom was here I wanted her to have this experience too...
The day before it was snowing a lot and so I asked G to go the following day but he refused tellign he will take care of Bumshika (my baby girl, new blog name) and asked us to leave.
I woke up at 7:30 , took bath, pumped milk , woke up Bumble who got ready in 5 mins as one of his friends was also coming with us.
We picked SIL and me, Mom, Bumble and the other kid left at 8:50, we reached there by 9:05, did the check-ins , we were given hairnet and they ahd a 15 min orientation session after which we were asked to wash our hands and go inside. There was some sitting volunteer work for which they wanted 8-10 volunteers and mom, SIL and some others went there. The rest of us went to the packing stations.

I must say that everythign was very neatly arranged, there were vitamins, frozen veggies, soy and rice to be packed. It was to be put thorugh a funnel using the spoons or cups into a bag held below the funnel. These bags were then measured to be between 380-400gms. Then they were sealed and packed into boxes. There were loud cheers and screams whenever a box was packed. The kids were involved in various activities helping the adults.

2.5 hours passed by very quickly. We had a 9-11 slot. By 10:40 they asked us to stop and clean up the place, then a small prayer was told and we again waited outside where a small story was told oh how the food helped kids all around the world.

104 of us packed 143 back which equalled to $6453.33 and could feed about 84 children for a year. After this we all returned home feeling very very happy.




No comments: