Sunday, February 22, 2009

Almond Crusted Cat Fish



We got CatFish fillets this week-end as I had my eyes on 1 of the receipes that I saw on LiveToEat Blog. The link for that can be found here
Here is what I did:-
I dry roasted 4 pieces of cardamon, 2 sticks of cinnamon, 10 red chillies, 1tbsp of fennel seeds and then ground them in a blender with 5-6 whole almonds, 1 tbsp of lime juice and salt to form a paste. 
I applied this paste liberally on the fish and kept it in the fridge for 40 minutes to marinate. Attached is my marinated fish pics. 
40 mintues later I heated oil in a kadai and fried the fish. First 5 minutes covered, then turned and cooked for another 6-7 minutes. I felt the masala lacked little salt and hence while frying I spinkled salt and red chilli powder over the fish. Once it was nicely done I removed it on a plate. Rightly as Sig mentioned in the original post you get pieces of fish sticking to the kadai which you do not want to waste, so I added cut onions, curry leaves, salt and powdered almonds. Fried them well and poured it over the fish. 
The almonds gave it a very crunchy taste. Had this with some rice and dal. It was truly delicious :)

3 comments:

Sara said...

This look so delicious! I have a big can of almonds at home that I've been looking for ways to use, I will give this a try.

Fran Z said...

I LOVE catfish and have never thought of these seasonings! Sounds great!

ShellyH said...

Welcome to the foodie blog roll. My husband loves catfish so I will print your recipe and give it a try.