Saturday, January 07, 2017

Post 7- Books That I Read Blogathon 2017

I have been on the lookout for good bools to read for quite some time, now that the kids no longer need my undivided attention and they have taken an interest in T.V I have some time for myself. I was super interested in Harry Potter books and so I googled on what to read after Harry Potter and came across this link  which you all should check out.
The first book I read was

Inkheart, Cornelia Funke

What it’s about: This story within a story follows a 12-year-old girl named Meggie, who learns that her father can bring fictional characters to life. One night while reading a book called Inkheart, an evil ruler escapes and abducts them both. Meggie must learn to harness the magic that caused this nightmare so she can change the course of the story

My verdict: I never knew what was going to happen, the beginning was interesting but then I soon lost interest in the story and the characters. Lastly I just skimmped the novel to see how it ends

Next on my list was 

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson), Rick Riordan

What it’s about: Percy Jackson, a young boy who faced several strange, supernatural encounters, discovers that he is actually the son of Poseidon. Percy and his friends go on a quest to prevent a war between the Greek Gods.

My verdict : I liked the whole series, infact I read all the 6 books at a stretch, I do like Greek mythology so that added to my interest. However by the last book  the battles were getting redundant.Overall a good series.

Next was

The Night Circus, Erin Morgenstern

What it’s about: This story is about a circus, one with black and white tents that arrives with no warning or announcement. Behind the scenes, two young magicians prepare for a duel that they have been trained for since childhood. Despite themselves, the duo fall in love, but what they don’t know is that this game can only leave one standing.

My verdict:-- I loved this book, the writing, the descriptions, the suspense, just beautiful. I wanted to take a pen myself and start writing a novel on the same lines.I do not mind reading it again.

Next was 

The Magicians, Lev Grossman

What it’s about: The Magicians, the first book of a trilogy, is about Quentin Coldwater, a kid who attends an exclusive college of magic in upstate New York. He and his friends travel in pursuit of finding a magical land, but what they actually find is more than they bargained for.

My verdict: The beginning held my interest and I kept reading it along, but somewhere at the three fourths I felt it stretched out a lot. In fact if the author would have stopped it there and then di the remaining in a sequel I would have definitely read the sequel. Right now I am not too interested int he sequel portion. FYI: I saw the trailer for this on Netflix, not sure if I will watch it.

 
Next and current

The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, Michael Scott

What it’s about: This story is about Nicholas Flamel, the greatest Alchemyst of his day. Nearly 700 years after his birth, he still lives, the secret of eternal life hidden in a book that Dr. John Dee is trying to steal. If it ends up in his hands, it could destroy the world, and based on a prophecy, twins Sophie and Josh Newman are the only people who can help save humanity.

My verdict So far: Not interesting enough, I started a few weeks ago and it has been days since I have returned to reading the rest of the pages, not sure if I will get back to it or just go and get another one form the list.
 

Please do let me know if anyone has any other good books that I can read to.

No comments: